Cats are important pets in the life of an individual and providing the cat with everything essential is a part of making his life with you more comfortable.
Training the cat for litter box
When you bring in an outdoor cat, the first thing that you need to do is train the cat for litter box.
- Litter boxes for cats must look appealing enough for the cat and this means, the box should be of the right size, easy to find and most importantly- uncovered.
- If you have many cats, then the number of litter boxes should also be equivalent to that.
- Since the cat is used to outdoor surroundings, you should try using familiar things like sand, soil and unscented substrate to make the litter box as comfortable as possible.
- You can place a number of boxes in places where the cat can eliminate by placing one near the door so that if he is going outdoor exclusively to eliminate, he will comfortably do so on the box near the door.
Why should you have a litter box inside the house?
When it comes to litter, it is essential that a cat has a litter box which is indoors. In general, cats are trained to meow, use a pet door, or scratch at the door when they want to litter and cat parents allow their cats to go outside. However this is not a permanent solution and hence can be short-sighted for a number of reasons.
- When the temperature is extreme, snowing or raining, cats will not enjoy going outside and forcing them to go out will be stressful and dangerous.
- When cats eliminate outdoors, there are chances of her coming face to face with another dog or cat which might become a stressful experience for the cat. She will be worried about the risk of getting ambushed by her enemy every time she walks out of the home. This might make her want to stay indoors and avoid going out, even for eliminating.
- If your cat has an injury somewhere or is not feeling well, she will not want to go outdoors for elimination.
- As your cat grows older, she will find it difficult to eliminate outside though she is used to doing so in the past. A senior cat’s joints will be aggravated especially in cold and damp weather.
- When your cat goes to eliminate, are you sure she goes outside or will she end up eliminating in the garden. Having a garden filled with cat faeces will give a very unpleasant odour.
- When your cat goes outside to eliminate, you will not be able to properly monitor the cat’s health. However, if you have a litter box, you will be able to notice the changes when you scoop the box.
One thing that you need to do when training your cat is be patient. Every cat will have its own way of dealing with such things and all you need to do is wait for it to learn.